Easter

Easter! A time to reflect on what meaning Jesus’ death and resurrection has for this world we live in, and for our day to day lives. I went to a very good service on Thursday night at the Methodist church in town. PowerPoint of English stain glass windows of the Stations of the Cross, with good music and excellent readings and prayers. My 13 year old thought the whole thing had been 20 mins max, not the 45 it was.
Friday I did do church, but spent much of the day writing a reflection based on my own walking of the events on my last full day in Jerusalem. Still not finished though. Then I went for a 14 km walk for the last half of the afternoon, while the rest of the family went to a kids programme Bonnie was running. Saturday was spent with family (ish) well, Michael and friend, and Bonnie. Sunday was spent with friends (and church) Monday was the highlight. We set up our living room as a theatre and watched all three Lord of the Ring movies, extended version. I think it was about 11 ½ hours of movie all up. Fantastic stuff!
I have been fretting since Sunday about some comments our friends made. One 9actually several) was about the new NCEA system, which they declared was a mess. Actually it isn’t. Employers think there is too much information. Only if they are morons really. It gives employers information about what each young person can and can’t do. Like my daughter did well at maths, but failed number. So if she was applying for a job which needed good number skills (percentages etc…) she is not the person for them. Easy! I hope employers don’t make any other commercial decisions based on the oversimplified information they seem to want from schools. Finally I was told the best are those who pass exams with the highest marks. Interesting concept really. I am not sure I agree. Surely passing an exam shows you are the best at passing exams. But are you the best at for example being a doctor??
There was a news item about the tribe from near here going to the Maori Land Court to establish customary title. The new item said this would not restrict access to the beaches (which it can’t) and Liz was very sceptical. I am intrigued that we foist our pakeha values on others, (keep off my land) and then vilify them for it, even when the specifically say that that is not even up for discussion. Our news media have sold such a good lie for ratings.
Any how, I can recommend the 3 in a row for the LOTR! Good Christian mythology!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

Youth Camp

The Way