Praying with all the Saints - Us and Them, or We

An odd things happened this morning as I prayed. I use a form of daily office to get things going. It is designed for groups of people, so uses "we". I usually change this to "I" etc.. Today I left it as "we", and became conscious as I prayed that it was really we. I do not pray alone, but with all those who have prayed over the ages (the saints) and with all those who will pray today, particularly my Franciscan and Anglican brothers and sisters. It was a profound experience, that took me out of my prayers and my needs, and into this intangible but real community.

I think I will keep using "we" and join all the saints, living now and departed, in "our" daily prayer.

Just before I left for overseas I attended a theological hui on "communion" Timely for us Anglicans as the Anglican Communion tears itself apart. One of the speakers talked about "communion" taking us out of an "us and them" metality, and into a "we" metality. Today I experienced that in a profound way. I have prayed for them over there or who have lived. Today we all prayed.

A couple of nights ago I was out for dinner. There as another group there talking with one of the hosts about a covenant he had to write. The conversation had a very smug "us and them" feel about it, smug and mocking. "We know best and are superior, certainly more than them who also were involved." Not too different from National really. Or if I was honest myself. But I really felt uncomfortable at the smug humour, the lack of humility, the logs blinding all in the face of specks. And I do it too occasions.

"Us and them" or "we" I am going to try for we, and see where God takes me in this.

Comments

malleebull said…
What a wonderful way to think and pray about it.

The 'we' you spoke of in your post also incorperates all of us - here and now - who pray with you.

Yes - absoultely - 'we' incorperates the saints that have gone before us...but also all who partake in santifying time each day across this world of ours.

I pray with you too...and am part of that 'we'...even in little 'ol Adelaide...

Our communion in prayer is a wonderful and freeing thing indeed...!

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

They Were Not There at the Beginning

Youth Camp