There is nothing like getting an absolute pasting on your blog.

I put this in the comments section as well, but thought I would put it here to. While some of the comments reveal how passionate people feel, I am glad that it has sparked that passion and response. But I do feel I have been slightly misunderstood, so I make the following responses.

Firstly, I am really sorry if I caused hurt. I thought that the event was a great event overall. And those who commented are right, I should have said so on the blog. I did tell some of the organisers that at the time, and again in my evaluation. And I did raise these issues in my evaluation, and other issues I felt needing addressing. Yet overall it was a well run event.

But part of my role in to “to work with others to broaden & deepen the church's understanding of youth ministry so that it is seen as ministry: to youth, for youth, with youth & from youth.” One of the ways I do that is through this blog and offering comments on what I experience at various youth ministries. Were these comments based on one event? No! There are similar comments throughout this blog.

What is more, my comments were NOT aimed at the organisers, but at those who had some leadership roles at the event, like the musicians, almost all of whom I would call adults. And I have made those comments to some of those musicians in the past. Yes, some of these issues are long standing, like the “I”, and the use of “I” in our music has cost us dearly as a church. We have generations of people who went to Anglican Churches, made their individual communion, spoke to no-one and then went home. Was this good for the church? Ah……no! So why perpetuate it? It is bad theology. So to the adults who run the music groups, who perform at the events, stop using songs that only speak of “I” and “me”. Music is such a powerful influence is shaping our theology and worldview. We need to be more helpful in what we offer young people in our music.

Like many of those who have commented my passion is also young people and their being offered all they need to grow in the faith. As I understand it I am being questioned for wanting this. Interesting.

So to those who were hurt, I apologise. But my comments were not aimed at you. The team that organised this event did a great job. But to the adults who work with them, including me, we need to pick up our gaime. We are letting them down.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I vs We songs in worship

OK - I hope that this will prove helpful in the infamous I vs We songs in worship debate with the contention being in your blog that "I" songs are a) bad theology and b) contribute to a lack of community.

First up, let's look at the Bible which helpfully already has it's own hymn book attached (Psalms) and many various songs of praise attached throughout (eg: Mary's song when she discovers she's pregnant with Jesus). Almost EVERY song is couched in the terms of "I" or "me" so it would appear that there is no inherantly bad theology in singing "I" songs and in fact that the Biblical example is to do so.

BUT - does this break down a sense of community?

Well the Jewish people are famous for their sense of community and the Israelites prided themselves with being known as the "people of God" so again the answer seems to be no.

So where does this notion of "We" songs being more Biblical and community minded come from? Well back in the day the Anglican Church was established in the Golden age of "Christendom". In Christendom everyone was a "christian" - regardless of whether you actually believed in God or not. It was the cultural norm that was reinforced by the idae of "We" worship...as in "we good christian, white, middle class westerners" I imagine that in this context singing "I" songs of praise and devotion would have seemed somewhat out of step with everyone else and would have made you seem rather fanatical about your faith.

Roll into the modern era and the breakdown of "Christendom" and it becomes "obvious" that "we" don't all believe in Christ....and in fact never actually did! It was "We" worship that contributed to that culture that the blog talks about of being able to go to church without ever really connecting with God or other people. Ironically "we" songs fostered the view that Faith was a private thing never to be expoused in public with something as crass as a personal and public display of worship

Cue various "worship renewal" movements and a return to the idea that worship is a personal response to a loving God that is 24/7 but powerfully reflected when we gather as community to express our faith together. Singing "I" denotes ownership of the faith and belief that we proclaim rather than hiding it in the belief of the many as in the "we" Christendom mindset. Singing "I" ends up creating a much more authentic expression of "we" than we have experienced through singing "we" songs in past when not everyone believed the beliefs that "we" were expousing.

A modern example would be the way in which U2 singing "I" songs in concert (as you have at the top of the blog) create an amazing sense of community through a shared response to ideas that people passionate identify with.

Lastly though, I would say that there is nothing inherantly wrong with "We" songs but that they need to come out of a place of authentic community, when we are expressing a hope, a prayer, a commitment, as community. I also pray for more of a focus on songs of social action, but that they should be an natural expression and outworking of our own faith rather than simply a collection of "good works" (in fact it seems like you missed the New Years midnight event at Rave as this was talked about and responded to there).

To say that "I" songs are bad theology is simply not true or Biblical, nor do "we" songs automatically build a community. We should be careful I think, that our own tastes and preferences don't become a stumbling block to young people's expressions of faith as I don't think that God is looking for the right words or the right format, but enjoys a heart overflowing with love in worship.

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

They Were Not There at the Beginning

Youth Camp