my own thoughts

I am in Dunedin at a leadership in congregations course for my Otago M.Min.
Some random thoughts:
• As I watch young people walking down to university and work with their mp3 players/ipods plugged in, I wonder what the cost will be of people never being alone with their own thoughts. Their world is filled with others thoughts in the music. Will people be able to sit alone with only themselves and their thoughts? Will the be able to sit in silence with God? If not, what will that do to their soul, and our society.
• As we struggle to introduce and manage change in our churches, will it be enough? I listen to leaders talk about gearing up for the next change, and think of my own pseudo Gen X frustration with the lack of change. And I am old. Our change is so slow and laboured, compared to what young people swim in. Will it eve be enough? Or should we stop trying, and instead of trying to change what we do, should we just change people’s imaginations so that they can allow new things to emerge with their resources and prayer?
• What hope is their when so many of our leaders are so old, boomers nearly the lot? Will they let go enough for real ministry to a younger age group to happen? Or will the continue to think they have all the answers still?

Peace
John.

Comments

Anonymous said…
John. I like your reference to "changing people's imaginations" - seems so important to me.

The challenge then becomes how we 'fund', resource, nourish and open up space for new imaginations and creativity.

One way we've been doing that this week is sharing stories...
Anonymous said…
I do believe that with TV in lounge and/or bedroom, Radio, MP3s, XBox, my friend the laptop, workaholism followed by stress and a head full of work during the night and into waking the next morning, squeezing in chores, friends, family... the art of silence has disappeared. Our own thoughts have become largely irrelevant, replaced by anything possible to escape them. It will indeed be interesting to see how this affects society, and church, and life in general as time moves on.

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

Youth Camp

The Way