Saturday in England


I had a stunning Saturday.
I trained into London, found a pub, sat down and watched a grand and emphatic performance by the All Blacks. Apparently not underdone! Interestingly the southern hemisphere teams look much more up to this competition that the “home nations” and France, who largely look awful.
In a state of euphoria (and two very nice beers) I ambled down Charing Cross Road wondering what I might do next when I found…….
SPAMALOT!!!!!!!
SPAMALOT????
SPAMALOT!!!

So I bought a full price ticket, and had a really good time. Eric Idle has done a really good job reworking the basic “Holy Grail” script, getting some classic songs like “Always look on the bright side of Life,” and “Spam, spam spam spam” as well as getting some nice little plot twists and even social commentary. They even take a few swipes at musicals, with two songs called “a song like this”. I’d go back and see it again in a flash.

I wandered around Soho after that, and China town, eventually finding a nice pub that did steak and Guinness pied, with mash spud and veges, and which served Timothy Taylors Landord, quite the best beer I have had here.

Then off to meet Megan and to go to Gracein Eeling. I have wanted to go to this for a while, and it was really nice to be there. It was the first “service” after the summer break (which seems a little weird to me) and after greenbelt, so not so many people, and not do long. But it was nice to talk to people after in the cafĂ©, including Johnny Baker. I really would like to get something like this going at home again.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Let's talk on this subject when you get home. I'd value your insights around the "what's" and the "how's"...

http://prodigal.typepad.com/prodigal_kiwi/2007/09/is-there-a-room.html

Jonny in Melbourne in 08. I've asked him about coming to NZ at the same time. Yet to hear back from him. Interested?

Pleased all going well, and that you finally managed to get on your Air India flight...

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

They Were Not There at the Beginning

Youth Camp