New York

I have been home a week now. In between meeting with bishops and trying to catch up on sleep, I have struggled to do much, hence the lack of a posting.
Anyhow here are some thoughts on New York: I began writing them on the flight home.


I was in Union Square, New York a couple of nights ago. It is one of my favourite places in New York. There is always something happening there, always!!!! It is not really glitzy, It is a quite space in the midst of noise and mayhem, of the need to be somewhere. As I walked through last night, there were heaps of couples sitting, talking, kissing, just being together. It was so nice. I missed Bonnie a lot at that moment, but it was nice to see couples being happy to be together. And dispersed throughout these couples were homeless people trying to sleep on the benches. There were others just sitting, students and others reading in the darkly lit area. There is this great mixture of life: love, despair, discomfort, joy, grief, all mixed up in one place. And you can walk though it, take part in it, sit and enjoy it, or rush past. You choose. At least I could choose. Some of those there do not choose. They have run out of most of their choices. That is Union Square. I love it. I love being able to be there and soak it up.


I went back this morning, had breakfast in a diner, and then wondered through the farmers market that is there four days a week. I was nice to see all the produce on sale, fruit and veges, breads, organic baking, jams and preserves, meat. Seeds, even grass. A little further round is the dog place, where only people with dogs and dogs with people can enter. There were little dogs, and big dogs, all running around, and owners dealing with what dogs do. A great way to finish my time.

So highlights:
Being with Masud and Janice for those four days. I was looked after so well



Living at Little Portion friary for the meeting of the TSSF ministers. I loved the chapel, and loved the rhythm of prayer in that place. It was very nice being with them all.

Spending time with the ministers. I had met most before, but it was good to meet David from South Africa. The meeting was good too. A highlight was planning to have a Franciscan prayer presence at Lambeth next year. Part of me thinks that far too much energy is going into this debate. And part of me thinks that we need to do something. To allow more voices to be heard, and to just pray together. I am excited about that.


I was taken to the Catholic Worker by Terry, a TSSF member who lives in E 1st St in Manhattan. The theme was forgiveness, but at the meeting it was clear that those who live and work among the poorest felt very frustrated, and very committed.
Finally, just wondering around was such fun. Watching the rugby in a bar in Bleeker St. with a Man U /Chelsea game going on behind me was bizarre. I kept having to remind myself that I was in New York.
Enough for now.
Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

Youth Camp

The Way