Bye bye Boston Legal

Last night I watched a “Best of Boston Legal” It was great, and yet poignant. Poignant because my favourite TV show has finished. I wonder what it was about Boston Legal that tickled my fancy.

Well, for a start it was funny. Really funny. The characters were so different and quirky. And over the years they took themselves less and less seriously. In the last season they made references to themselves as a TV programme all the time.

But it also offered serous social commentary. The character of Alan Shaw is central here. His court room rants were full of social commentary, usually from the left. You could not ignore what it was saying. And Denny Crane offered a conservative opposing standpoint to keep things in balance. Within the office, issues around sexual ethics were raised, Denny’s Alzheimer’s, Gerry’s autism, even Chinas human rights (which always intrigues me that Americans worry about that given their domestic and international track record)

Finally, I will miss the final scene of Denny and Alan on the balcony with their whiskey at the end of each episode. The sense of such friendship, of love between two people. There was something inviting about that.

And I wonder vaguely, what if church was like that, fun, not taking itself too seriously and yet full of gospel centered social commentary, and inviting through the strength of relationships. Hm...

So, for now I watch re-runs, and wish more were to be made, and mourn that none will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

Youth Camp

The Way