I went to church at St Francis in Ohauiti

Last sunday I went to church at St Francis in Ohauiti. It was a Tikanga Maori service. I didn't even know it was there until recently, which shows how little we have to do with each other. It was not a eucharist as their preiest died earlier in the year, and they are now training two new Kai Karakia, who did a great job leading a service they were not overly familiar with.
I really enjoyed the welcome, the invitation to kai afterwards (lunch not just a biscuit) I would go again.
As I drove home I wondered why it is that we know so littel of each other, well, we in Tikanga Pakeah know so little of our Maori brothers and sisters. I was embarrassed at some of the stories they told about the pakeha parishioners at the other church they go to on the sundays there is no church at St. Francis who had no idea that we have a three Tikanga strucutre. My fellow priests are just so rubbish at this.
But I had a very good time. I wish I had gone years ago. How can we encourage this kind of attending other Anglican churches I wonder?

Comments

Sharlene said…
Kia Ora John,
It is interesting to hear this korero from a priest such as yourself who has been involved with our church for a very long time at a national '3 Tikanga' level. I understand though, mahi aside, that attending another Tikanga Sunday service is another kettle of fish.
This is encouraging and you are sharing your experience with others which is great. Awareness is a first step.
I am in a similar position. There are many Tikanga Pakeha and Polynesia churches in Auckland. What is holding me back from attending their services?

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

Youth Camp

The Way