Get those PSA Blood Tests Done Boys!

I had a strange conversation a few months ago. I was lying back in a chair, naked from the waste down, holding a nappy over my bits while I waited for the skin under my bits to go numb enough from liquid nitrogen or some such thing, so that they could inject the local anesthetic and then punch a couple of holes through to the prostate. All in all a fun experience. And while I waited the nurse made small talk and asked what I did. "I'm retired", I replied. "Oh, what are you planning to do now you are retired? any travel?" "Turns out not" I said, "It seems I'm just keeping my dairy open for dealing with health things." And I am still keeping my dairy open and still dealing with them.

This journey began last year. I was already dealing with two other things, including a lump in my parotid gland which has been slowly growing there for about 3 years. When I got back from being overseas on sabbatical my doctor called me in to talk about that and to do a check up. He is good like that. Before I saw him he asked me to do my raft of blood tests which include PSA,cholesterol, liver function (because I take statins for the cholesterol), and some others.The PSA was slightly up, so he wanted to do that again, this time with no sex or exercise 24 hours before hand. One of which was pretty easy to do, and the other was fine. That test was lower, so he booked me in for a repeat in April. This time, just turn up and do it. Thanks Luke for your care and diligence. This could be  way messier without that.

Those April blood tests come back, and I got the first of my growing list of calls and medical appointments. I am glad I am retired because I don't know how you fit being sick in with working. Dr Luke wanted to refer me to a urologist, who booked me in for an MRI. Then another call, from the urologist this time - nothing to worry about, the PSA levels are elevated but still relatively low. But there is something there and we need a closer look. We want to book you in for a biopsy. So there I am, no pants, holding a nappy, trying to chat about retired life and my lack of plans. To be fair I'm glad i don't need to do that again. Ever!

Then I receive another phone call. But this time it is someone booking me in to see the urologist. This is not a phone call you want. I was looking for the one from the urologist to tell me all is good and not to worry. Being called in is an invitation to worry. All is not good. I arrived at the said appointment and the urologist asked "How are you?" to which I replied, "I have no idea. I feel fine, but you are about to tell me how unfine I really am." And he did.

And I am not fine. I have prostate cancer., and not a friendly type. I got a free PETCT scan - that unfriendly. (people who have brushed the cancer system will tell you about that.) But it seems contained, and with surgery there is a lot of hope being cured - for now. 

This could be much worse. I am so very grateful for my doctor who cares and who followed up. I am grateful for our health system that is looking after me and has offered me options and has been pretty quick in addressing this. Sure things could be quicker, but I am not the only one going though this. And I am grateful for my wife and family, and those friends who have known what is happening and all their care and support. In all this I am learning to trust God's actions in the people I encounter. I feel like I am being invited to live in Mother Julian of Norwich's famous quote, "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well"

I now have a date for the prostatectomy in 3 weeks. And the lump gets chopped out of my parotid gland just before Christmas. I have pelvic floor exercises to practice, and a surprising number of appointments and forms to fill in. It feels a lot, but with luck I will be done with health issues then for awhile. That is the plan. Lets hope this cunning plan works.

Why am I telling you all this. I am not after sympathy. Prayers and good thoughts I'll take. Mostly I want to say, if you are over 50 and a male, have regular health checks which include PSA tests. Get them done every year. Prostate cancer is huge amongst older men. Look after yourselves and your loved ones and make sure it happens. If my doctor had not been so on to it, if I had not had the tests because I was too busy trying to retire, this story would not be so happy. So, just do it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Ride! - Thankyou and Goodbye!

"Just Enjoy The Coffee"