What have I been up to - part 1

I was a little worried abut the flight over, being in a full plane all masked. But so far so good. Lets face it, having access to the lounges makes flying much more pleasant. I got to watch some good movies, got some sleep, and read some of Hirini’s book, and my dragon book. And Heathrow was a breeze really. It took a while to get through the e-gate, but not too long. And my bag awaited me on the luggage thingy. I had arrived with my bag. What more could I want?

I have had 2 and a bit days to enjoy London. Saturday I cleaned up and chatted with Sr. Sue, then had a wee nap. Later in the day I ambled down to Black Friars Bridge, and walked along Southbank towards London Bridge, and then back the other way towards Westminster Bridge, supping on a cup or two of nice lagers and enjoying the vibe. I went over the bridge to see the Houses of Parliament, which are now uncovered and gleaming. And through the deserted streets around the back of the Abbey crossing Lambeth bridge and ambling back down towards Westminster bridge again, walking past the National wall of remembrance for those who have died of Covid. A sobering walk.

One of the joys of staying with first order sisters and brothers is joining them for morning and evening prayer. It is a little stressful as we navigate our way through their office book with psalms, alternate canticles etc.... but a joy and a privilege to join people who pray these prayers each day, and who have allowed those words to seep into them. On Sunday I joined Sr Sue at Southward Cathedral for sung Eucharist. It was high church, but not fussy. The choir sang some bits, but mostly it was said, which was a good mix of sung cathedral stuff. It is the holidays and it might be different when the normal choir was there. But it felt approachable, and economic in both the words as actions. Simple yet flowing out of that anglo-catholic tradition. I could come here every Sunday. I do love incense.

The preacher, who is also TSSF, spoke about the text for the day, Jesus teaching his disciples to pray in Luke's gospel. He focussed on 'our Father' - especially the "our". We do not pray alone. We join the prayers of all those who are praying, from our church, and all others. But it made me think about how wide the "our" goes. What if the "our" is all those God has created and loves, whether they know it or not. If it is all people, then when we pray :give us today our daily bread" I wondered if that was not just a for those of us who are praying but for all people, that they might have the bread they need. And i wonder then what that requires of people like me who really have too much bread. God's will is done on earth as in heaven when all have the bread they need. Which leads to what we did next.

After the service the dean and succentor led a procession to crossbones cemetery. Southwark is on the other end of London bridge, which for a long time was the only bridge across the Thames. It was not part of London City. And the bishop of Winchester proclaimed the liberty of Southward that allowed, for a fee, for lots of activities that were not allowed in London. Including theatre and prostitution. The prostitutes of Southwark had more freedom and liberty than they currently do under English law. But they were not buried in hallowed ground, but were buried in crossbones, along with many other outcasts and poor. It is thought 15,000 people were buried in this cemetery. Many were women and their children. It was closed in the 1800’s when they could only cover the bodies with about 6inches of dirt. And it got lost in history. But it was rediscovered when digging began on a major new development called the Southwark Liberty. They found bodies buried so close together it was hard to dig. A loose group worked to have at least part of the cemetery preserved as a memorial for all the outcast dead. And once a year the cathedral goes to lead prayers of repentance for how the church has and still treats those who are outcast. What a thing to take part in.

I had a quiet afternoon after lunch, and then after night prayer ambled down to London bridge, and had my first iced flat white. The coffee and ice and blended together to create the thickish foam coffee mix poured into the milk. Today’s version was not as good as last nights.

Today after morning prayer and I went to Oxford Street in search of trousers. Mildly successful. And then trained down to Canterbury. I am now staying with Br. Austen SSF in an old workman's cottage - pre-Victorian, with the steepest stairs up to the room I am in. 

Tomorrow I will join some others from TSSF offering tea and coffee for any bishops who may amble down to Canterbury before the actual Lambeth Conference begins. 

Weather wise the heat has not been too bad. Mid to high 20’s. Not high 30’s yet. But this week could get hot. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

Youth Camp

The Way