Christmas Greetings


Was Jesus born in this Bethlehem spot?

Was Jesus born in this Bethlehem spot?
Not a nice stable at the back of an inn,
but the animal end of an ordinary house-cave
among the dung and the feed?
Did Mary breathe deep, hold and push
in this underground smoke darkened shrine?
Did Joseph stand helpless among the men
safe away from the blood, pain and tears
around a fire warmed against the winter chill?
Did the whenua of God lie on this
star shaped spot where millions have prayed?
Is it here God inhaled that life giving breath
and exhaled that first joyful cry?

I don’t know!
And none of it matters…
Unless Jesus is born in me this Christmas
Unless I breathe life afresh with God
Unless I leave the helpless men
at the safe end of my cave
and join the woman in the
messy hand dirtying work
of giving birth to God’s world today.




I pray that this Christmas was a time of finding the life giving breathe of God in you, and those you love.

May this new year be filled with God’s blessings and new challenges and opportunities .

Arohanui



John Hebenton









Comments

Paul Fromont said…
Cheers John. I hope that you and yours had a good one too. May 2006 be a fruitful and energising year.

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

Youth Camp

The Way