Sydney

A friend blogged about the Archbishop of Sydney (Anglican, just) sermon/speech in Christchurch. Some thoughts in response to Michael and Phil Jenson.
I am disturbed by the constant "evangelical" assumption that justice issues are somehow a side issue to real theology and the gospel. I have no idea what bible they read. But the one I read is all about justice. Any theology that does not place God's justice at the centre is of little use and is hardly biblical. So Phil, maybe if you got your theology right, then maybe a lot of the crap going on would stop and we could have some real conversations.

I have a lot of time for Michael's observations and thoughts. He and I are very similar. But the stuff about homosexuality intrigues me. Why, because it barely gets a mention in scripture. Heterosexuals misbehaving gets much more press. People using their power, position and money to oppress others, well now that is a real biggy. But do we get upset when adulterers are ordained. No, we talk about forgiveness. (I had a very interesting conversation with a colleague who had run a gay couple, who were celibate, out of his parish, and told me his friend who through his adulteress actions had broken up two families and caused untold pain and damage to the young people in those families should be forgiven his indiscretion and called back to full time ministry! Do we tell people who pay their workers poor wages and offer poor working conditions that they need to repent and are not welcome at the communion table until they rectify things? (As some church do to unmarried couples living together) No, we put them on our church governing bodies! That seems strangely unbiblical and very homophobic to me. I have know people, good people, of evangelical faith who were called to ordained ministry who after being accepted, and after spending a long time struggling with the teaching of their faith and their own self understanding, "came out"! They were then told to leave theological college. Why, because they were gay. Not because they were involved with other men, they weren’t. They were celibate. Our fetish about being gay is appalling. The way the bible is reduced by married men to who and who can’t have sex is also appalling. Yes, let’s name the sins, but let’s name the whole gambit, and keep homosexuality in perspective!

Well, now that was a rant

Comments

Mich said…
Boy - that wound you up didn't it...
First comment I did say in my post that i believe justice must be considered an aspect of theology, but it needs to weigh up with what the bible says, I don't think you can talk about justice without the scriptures understanding of the issues.
As for the evengelical obsession... well it is over the top. Why should sex be picked on? I honestly don't know, and it think to be 'biblical' we need to keep it in context - paul has some things to say about homosexuality but he is also critical of greed, I agree lets put that one on the table too.
I guess my biggest issue with the debate is the absolute arrogance of the Episcopal church in ordaining a an open and actively (sounds rather dodgy) gay bishop, when they knew the hurt it would cause. Now that is a justice issue

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

They Were Not There at the Beginning

Youth Camp