Thoughts on Psalm 119

I always feel ambivalent about this Psalm. Part of me really struggles with the exhortation to read scripture as “law”, a set of moral codes to live by. God forbids this and allows this kind of stuff. I struggle with that.

But I also read it as an invitation to love scripture, to have a great passion for scripture, to read it as life giving and world changing. Francis was passionate in his love for scripture, especially the gospels. I hear the ongoing call to be in love with scripture, to spend time each day immersed in scripture, to need scripture and God more than I need water or food. I respond to that. I desire that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Show us your credentials part three." Some thoughts for the readings for the 28th Sunday in Ordinary Time with some interesting stories.

“Show us your credentials part two." Some thoughts for the readings for the 27th Sunday in Ordinary Time and the Season of Creation

Anglican Worship, a relic of the past?