Phew

Phew
What an amazing few days.
Friday was an intense day with Francis. I went up to the Hermitage, where you can feel the presence of Francis and his early brothers. I walked the hour UP the road, and once I arrived I sat and prayed and wrote poetry there for a couple of hours.
After I came back I revisited the lower basilica of St Francis, and his tomb, which has five of his most faithful friends buried around the outside edge. It was an amazing experience to be in their presence twice in one day. I finished by praying before the crucifix, arms outstretched, as Francis encouraged his followers to do. An odd thing to do with hundreds of tourists around, but amazing. I mean, who knew me anyway!
Dorothy, Anne and I were going to try and have a Eucharist at the Franciscan Ecumenical Centre, but failed to raise anyone, so had an informal one at a local café. The quirky thing was when we got back from dinner we discovered an Anglican Eucharist nearly finished in the chapel at the guest house we were in. A group of American Episcopalians who were mostly Third Order were there on tour, they were amazed to discover their new Minster General, and sad like u s we had not been able to join them. Still, good to meet them.
Saturday was up early and off to Rome. St Johns Lateran, The Vatican and St,. Peters, the Pantheon, and the Trevi Fountain were all explored. The only down side was loosing my kangaroo skin sun hat. I am sure I wore it all the way back to our room, but I could not find it this morning. Weird! I took about 100 photos for my daughter, Kate, who is very interested in Rome. It is an amazing city. At once historical with amazing building and history, and then dirty, difficult to find you way round the narrow little streets which are full of pot holes and rubbish, and quite rude Italians.
Today again up early, taxi to Campiano airport (I chickened out trying to get public transport to somewhere I didn’t know by 6.30am), excess baggage fee, and then off to Geneva. I have spent 4 hours wandering around, cruising, looking ofr and internet café. I eventually slumped into a Starbucks (God forgive me) to discover wireless. So off I went and got my lap top, and now this is being typed
In an hour I go to Taize for a week. I am pretty sure I will not be online again until I get back here in a week.
Till then
Ciao

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

Youth Camp

The Way