Youth Camp

I went on a youth camp over new years. ( This bit is new) It was overall a good camp. The young people who organised it did a really good job, and I had a good time all in all. While I will go on to question one of the speakers in particular, mostly the others were good. One used Nooma dvd's and another retold bible stories to great affect.

But I want to make some comments about it that arise not only out of this event but also other events I have been on. They are observations of what we offer young people which arise out of the question, is what we offer young people at such events the best we can do?

Original posting continues...

I have to say the music wears me down. It is all about Jesus and me, hardly ever us. And when how to stay on the Christian journey is talked about it is in terms of my devotional life, and never about our life as a church, and even being part of a community. It is very individualistic, and is so deeply deeply flawed. And it is so not Anglican!!! Anglican spirituality and devotion starts with the gathered people every Sunday worshipping together, not just as a congregation but as a people all over the world together using the same liturgy, more or less, gathered together in prayer, around the communion table. Yet that is entirely missing from these songs.

And the songs are all about how I am so fulfilled in God. My yearning is over. Actually, to more I walk with God the more I yearn, yearn to be more the person God created me to be, more to know gods deep and profound love for me and all creation, yearn to live out that love. My yearning has changed, but it grows. I am not fulfilled. And my hunch is neither is the song writers. But our church culture says this is what we should sing. I really struggle to sing this stuff now. It seems so plastic and fake.

And I grieve that we offer young people such a diminished vision.

One of the speakers (a salvation army girl) talked about what marks us out from other people. it all seemed so superficial. No drinking (get out of here, we are Anglicans!) no swearing. That kind of stuff. Actually, I do drink. This may shock people. But I try not to drink too much. And I note that in my hockey group my drinking less has now encouraged others to drink less as well. If I had drunk nothing that would not have happened. Despite the fact I drink, they all know in my hockey team I am a Christian, a priest, because I see the world differently I am much more concerned about social justice, about the poor, about all being treated justly and well.

But at our camp those kinds of things went unmentioned. Never once how we treat people. Never once our passion for social justice. Never once our desire to work for others. Just this superficial crap, looking and sounding good.

Maybe I am too old, and need to get another job! But it pains me to see young people offered such a small idea of what Christianity is all about. And it pains me that at an Anglican event three of the five sessions were lead by non Anglicans.

My hope for 2007 is that in our Youth network we can deepen out understanding of what we as Anglicans offer young people and offer it!!

Happy New year

I am off for three weeks holiday, so won’t be posting much, not that will be any different from the last few months

Comments

Anonymous said…
You DO NOT need a new job, you have so much wisdom and knowledge to share. I have highly enjoyed the couple of times we have met in person and get a lot out of reading your blog.

Please continue to challenge us, please continue to speak out about your passions and your dreams for youth in NZ.
Anonymous said…
Very good web site!

new prescription diet pill


diet pill hoodia


See you tomorrow!
Anonymous said…
Hi John,
Amen.
WADE
Anonymous said…
Great post John,

Tim
Anonymous said…
I am very saddened by the tone of your blog. The young people who put this camp together did so with very little support from adults. I agree that I was also disappointed by the quality of some of the speakers (but certainly not all!) However, I do not expect to go to such an event and agree with everything that is said - one of the strengths of the anglican community is being able to hear differing points of view. I was also very impressed with the time offered in small groups after each session to explore and discuss issues further. If you are so concerned about the lack of understanding of what it means to be Angican amongst our young leaders, what are you doing to offer teaching and training for them? i am also concerned that as a leader with such an important position in our church you choose a blog page to openly and publicly knock our young leaders instead of building them up! My questions to you include: 1. Have you approached the people who organised this camp and expressed your concerns to them? 2. In your position what support have you offered them in the planning of this camp and what support and guidance indeed did they get from their own PADYS? 3. What education and training has been provided for any of our young in the aspects of being a Christian in the Anglican community? 4. Are you expecting our young to be in the same place on their Christian journey that your are (bearing in mind that it is a Christian and not an Anglican journey that is paramount!) 5. Are you forgetting the very good sessions that have been run in these camps in the past on topics such as social justice.
I have many more questions but I guess I'd better end. but please, please, do not publicly criticise what goes on. If you have a concern be adult and mature enough to personally approach those concerned!
Anonymous said…
Successful Youth Ministry to you John is?
Anonymous said…
a
Anonymous said…
I'm most concerned that as the Anglican YOUTH Network Facilitator, John, your job to 'foster mutual support & encouragement among those working with youth ministry...to work with others to broaden & deepen the church's understanding of youth ministry so that it is seen as ministry: to youth, for youth, with youth & from youth'; you could write such a critical, down-putting blog. Encouragement? I think not. Caused hurt? Very much so. I have to say, it 'wears me down' when I spend a great deal of my time helping youth see & understand that they are a valued and important in our community of faith - even if they haven't yet got the skills to offer the whole complete 'loaf' & are only able to offer a 'slice'. Did you have it all together at their age? Do we even now offer ALL there is?
May I suggest that why so many 'zealous young people drop right out of any formal church life' is that they get knocked back & cut off by people like yourself who slam them when they step out a little. However, my experience is different when it comes to young people & our (not my) church (Anglican). It is full of young people whose contribution is invaluable. They have more of a mission & social justice passion than many twice their age & we see this in action...including overseas mission. They begin as we all do, & as the disciples did, with coming to Christ in a personal way - they are then encouraged to give their devotional life top priority & out of this they are more than willing to serve others, to serve the community and to 'belong' to a church family where they not only feel valued but go on to value others! It seems to be working too - even with the street-kids!Is it not quite judgemental to think that based on 1 camp, we are producing individualistic non Anglicans. As for the songs - it's quite an interesting exercise to see that our church music over the centuries has been plagued with the same problem...so many hymns with 'I' & 'Me' throughout - they had the same individualistic problem we struggle with. We've not come very far have we?
I grieve too but my grief is for the salvation army girl who may well read your blog. Wow great way to treat a 16 year old even if you didn't agree with her views or the way she expressed herself. Is she not a child in the faith whom we should gently rebuke if so required - not publicly humiliate! Yes maybe you need a new job!! Maybe you need to go around a few Anglican churches that have youth & young people ministrying, worshipping & contributing - churches that have young people who have benefitted from camps such as the one over new year's. But I suggest you go with an open mind to what God is doing in these places - even it it's not your 'style' or 'way' of worship. Look for the good because it's there. And again my experience is that the youth I had as teenagers & that are now in their late 20s - are still in Anglican churches - if not in a church & making a contribution! Something must have worked even if we did sing 'individualistic' songs from time to time. 4 are in full time ministry! Really giving something back. I love young people. They are so accepting. So full of ideas & so want to share the gospel with their mates. AND that was what Rd. Rave was all about. Sharing the gospel - but maybe that is self-centred?
I'm also interested in how you defend yourself. Sometimes as a youth worker it is important to say you are sorry for the hurt caused rather than defend. Again that too is part of the gospel message - forgiveness. May I suggest that sometimes we need to humble ourselves and model it. You may not be unaware that your blog has caused such hurt but it has & if there is hurt it does need to be put right. John these young people have taken your comments quite personally - an attack on their faith & they way the approach God. Is it good to put down their ideas when they are in the early stages of their faith journey? I only hope they now don't 'drop out'. Adults may have taken your comments with a grain of salt. Young people who put hours and hours and hours of time, effort & energy into these events, even to the point of naively exposing their weaknessess find a blog like this very confusing & in my opinion extremely damaging & not at all helpful. I want to really encourage the young people who put the camp together. They are an awesome bunch. Keep learning, keep journeying with us & keep making the valuable contribution you are. We need you all!
Anonymous said…
There is nothing like getting an absolute pasting on your blog.

Firstly, I am really sorry if I caused hurt. I thought that the event was a great event overall. I told the organisers that at the time, and again in my evaluation. And I did raise

But part of my role in to “to work with others to broaden & deepen the church's understanding of youth ministry so that it is seen as ministry: to youth, for youth, with youth & from youth.” One of the ways I do that is through this blog and offering comments on what I experience at various youth ministries. Were these comments based on one event? No! There are similar comments throughout this blog.

What is more, my comments were NOT aimed at the organisers, but at those who had some leadership roles at the event, like the musicians, almost all of whom I would call adults. And I have made those comments to some of those musicians in the past. Yes, some of these issues are long standing, like the “I”, and the use of “I” in our music has cost us dearly as a church. We have generations of people who went to Anglican Churches, made their individual communion, spoke to no-one and then went home. Was this good for the church? Ah……no! So why perpetuate it? It is bad theology. So to the adults who run the music groups, who perform at the events, stop using songs that only speak of “I” and “me”. Music is such a powerful influence is shaping our theology and worldview. We need to be more helpful in what we offer young people in our music.

Like many of those who have commented my passion is also young people and their being offered all they need to grow in the faith. As I understand it I am being questioned for wanting this. Interesting.

So to those who were hurt, I apologise. But my comments were not aimed at you. The team that organised this event did a great job. But to the adults who work with them, including me, we need to pick up our gaime. WE are letting them down.

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

The Way