Fat People

This is like a confession really. There is a woman I know, who is about my age, maybe younger (which is not hard to do) who is really really overweight (morbidly obese I think it is called) and who smokes heavily. She is really unwell, and has been for a while. Her lungs must be a mess really: really squashed and small, and choked with smoke. Last year she had bad bronchitis. But as far as I can see looking at her and her daughter she has not stopped smoking and has not done anything about her weight. As you might tell, I struggle to be nice around her. Her cough is appalling. No compassion at all!!

The other day she collapsed. She is now in hospital; her condition is critical but stable. When I heard about this I thought two things. One is, well this was coming. The other was, "where is my compassion here? How do I know what she has or has not tried to do? Why am I so quick to judge?"

I hope and pray she recovers, which is by no means certain. I hope and pray that she does loose weight and stops smoking, for her daughter’s sake, so her daughter has a mum around. (Her daughter is in her early teens) But I also hope and pray that I will not judge what ever happens, that I will have compassion, be full of mercy, full of Christ's love for her. O that is so hard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Show us your credentials part three." Some thoughts for the readings for the 28th Sunday in Ordinary Time with some interesting stories.

“Show us your credentials part two." Some thoughts for the readings for the 27th Sunday in Ordinary Time and the Season of Creation

Anglican Worship, a relic of the past?