Words Offering Comfort and Hope

This sermon can be listened to here

Gate Pa –  5th Sunday in Easter - Year A -2020

Readings:
Psalm -            Psalm: 31:1-5,15-16    Page 229 NZPB 
First Reading -  Acts 7:55-60 
Second Reading - 1 Peter 2:2-10 
Gospel -  John 14:1-14

What I want to say: 
Reading John 14 as words of comfort and hope in the midst of pandemic lockdowns. We are invite into God being protector and provider, even in the midst of this dark time. How does Julian of Norwich help us do that? 
What I want to happen: 
People to reflect on how they have known God's protection and provision in this time.  

The Sermon 

1.      Introduction:

Happy Mother’s Day.
This year an odd Mother’s Day really. Many of us who still have mothers can’t be
with them, and that might be hard.Many who are mothers can’t be with their families and that too will be hard.And for others today is always a difficult day for a whole lot of reasons.None the less, happy Mother’s Day to all for whom today is a celebration.
On this day I wonder what the best experiences of our mother, or being a mother, teaches us about the nature of God’s love and compassion towards us? 

2.      Good Shepherd

Not only is Mother’s Day different this year, life is different.Like the mixed bag of emotions around Mother’s Day, I imagine we similarly wait for Monday’s announcement. Some excited and looking forward to some relaxing of the boundaries. Some, like me, quite happy to stay as we are. Some unsure, and some fearful of what that might bring.
Last week we were offered in the gospel reading the way John place Jesus in the Good Shepherd Tradition, which some have described as starting with 23rd
 Psalm. A tradition that named God as the ultimate protector and provider. And I wondered what that meant for us during this pandemic.
How have we or are we experiencing God’s protection and provision?
During our time of praying together on Friday this week, I was struck by these words in the gospel reflection.

Jesus, you are the good shepherd,
you are willing to die for the sheep.
You are the good shepherd;
as the Father knows you and you know the Father,
in the same way you know your sheep,
and your sheep know you;
you are willing to die for us.

The Father loves you because you are willing to give your life;
no one takes your life from you;
you give it up of your own free will;
you are the good shepherd.
Jesus is the good shepherd who understands our frailty,
and knows each one of us by name.

There are big themes in this that we need to keep hold of, especially in this time
of uncertainty. And we need to keep hold of them as we read elsewhere in John. 

3.      The Way, Truth and Life? 
This week we have the well-known passage from John 14. A passage that we often read as a stand-alone passage. Mistakenly I would suggest. And is too often used to say that Christians are the only one who really know God and the rest are condemned.
But as I say on occasions, let’s ignore that this is the beginning of a new chapter
and put these verses back in the story. And in the story, Jesus does not stop talking. He keeps on talking.
This is John’s version of the last supper. They know that some powerful people want Jesus dead. This is a tense meal. The end is coming and they are not sure
what that will look like. They are filled with uncertainty and fear, like some of us.
He meets them and washes their feet, which if we are honest, really confuses them. Then he says that one of the them will betray him, and Judas goes out into the night.
More confusion and disbelief.
When Judas was gone, Jesus tells them he is going somewhere they cannot come, and that they are to “Love each other. Just as I have loved you, so you also must love each other. This is how everyone will know that you are my disciples, when you love each other.” Not a rule, just how he is inviting them to respond to all that is about to happen. I am leaving you. Hold on to each other. Love each other.
Peter is having none of that and says “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I’ll give up my life for you.”  To which Jesus replies “Will you give up your life for me? I assure you that you will deny me three times before the rooster crows.
“Don’t be troubled. Trust in God. Trust also in me. 2 My Father’s house has room
to spare. If that weren’t the case, would I have told you that I’m going to prepare a place for you? 3 When I go to prepare a place for you, I will return and take you to be with me so that where I am you will be too. 4 You know the way to the place I’m going.”[1] 
To which Thomas says, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going. How can we know the way?”
6 Jesus answered, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you have really known me, you will also know the Father. From now on you know him and have seen him.”
Broken relationships. Doubt. Confusion. Exasperation. To which Jesus offers these are words of comfort. For this grieving and confused group of people lost in all that is happening around them, Jesus acts as the good shepherd, providing and protecting.
So when we read these words and the words that follow, we need to remember they are words of compassion, inviting them to trust all that they had experienced of Jesus. Jesus is not establishing theological dogma about who is in and who is out. He is offering reassurance that while they may feel like this is the end and what they experienced is over, it is in fact the beginning. Even when all seems lost. Even when Peter denies Jesus three times. Even when they get it wrong, even then there is a place in the heart of God for them, and for all of us. God still seeks to embrace us in love and compassion. God still seeks to embrace all  in love and compassion.

4.      Dame Julian of Norwich


On Friday we remembered Dame Julian of Norwich – one of the great English mystics who has much to offer us today.
She was never mother, but had a lot to say about God as mother
She lived in very turbulent times – 1300’s
  • King Richard II deposed (1399) 
  • Peasants revolt, ended badly leaders in Norwich (1381) 
  • 100 years’ war 
  • Church was in turmoil with competing Popes for 40 years 
  • At least 2 bubonic plagues

Who is she?
  • Don’t know her name
  • Writing 1342
  • Described self as simple and unlettered
  • Clear steeped – monastic teaching, scripture and English language
  • Benedictine
  • Upper class

When she was about 30 she was very sick and received 16 visions.
Became anchoress at St. Julian’s of Norwich
Two “books” – short text and long text – first book written in middle English
Preeminent English mystic and writer
Recognised one doctors church roman catholic church

Want to finish with three quotes that speak to today and our time 

“I saw and understood that the high might of the Trinity is our Father, and the deep wisdom of the Trinity is our Mother, and the great love of the Trinity is our Lord… And further more I saw that the second person, who is our Mother, substantially the same beloved person, has now become our mother sensually… The second person of the Trinity is our Mother in nature in our substantial creation, in whom we are founded and rooted, and he is our Mother of mercy in taking our sensuality. And so our Mother is working on us in various ways, in whom our parts are kept undivided; for in our Mother Christ we profit and increase in mercy he reforms and restores us, and but the power of his Passion, his death and his Resurrection he unites us to our substance (i.e. to our divine nature)”[2]

“And in this she showed me something small, no bigger than a hazelnut, lying on the palm of my hand, as it seemed to me, and it was as round as a ball, I looked at it with the eye of my understanding and thought, “What can this be? I was amazed that it could last, for I thought that because of its littleness it would suddenly have fallen into nothing. And I was answered in my understanding: It lasts and always will, because God loves it; and thus everything has being through the love of God. In this little thing I saw three properties. The first is that God made it; the second is that God loves it; the third is that God preserves it. But what did I see in it? It is that God is the Creator and the protector and the lover. For until I am substantially united to him, I can never have perfect rest or true happiness, until that is, I am so attached to him that there can be no created thing between my God and me.[3]

“And so our good Lord answered to all the questions and doubts which I could raise, saying most comfortingly: I may make all things well, and I can make all things well, and I shall make all things well, and I will make all things well; and you will see yourself that every kind of thing will be well. And in these… words God wishes us to be enclosed in rest and in peace.”[4]







[1] John 13 and 14, CEB.


[2] Julian of Norwich, Showings – the Long Text, Chapter 58, cited in Young, Holy Women: Their Spiritual Influence in the Middle Ages, 415.


[3] Julian of Norwich, Showings – the Long Text, 259, cited in Durka, Praying with Julian of Norwich. 42.



[4] Julian of Norwich, Showings – the Long Text, 259, cited in Durka, Praying with Julian of Norwich. 229.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

Youth Camp

The Way