Lytham - not so boring after all, Elly Griffiths. And Blackpool

Tuesday I trained off to Lytham. This is where Helen, our house guest during the first COVID lockdown and now friend comes from, and she and Dave have come back for awhile. Bonnie and I listen to Ruth Galloway murder mysteries by Elly Griffiths. In one of the books we read around that time she described Lytham as boring. I don't know she has ever been there. Helen and Dave are running an AirBnB and they are so busy catering for all the big events happening nearly every weekend over the summer.

It is a grand place. A small village. It has a lovely feel. It has a windmill, lovely walks, Lytham Hall, and a beer cafe. What more could you want. And it is close to Blackpool and Lancaster, and pretty close to Manchester and more importantly Liverpool.  

Wednesday I was left to my own devices, so I caught the bus to Blackpool. I hadn't planned to do this, but the train I caught to Lytham was going to Blackpool, and I thought, why not. Blackpool! Famous for its own version of the Eiffel Tower (the mayor at the time of that trade fair was inspired and came home and got his own one in double quick time).

I felt obliged to join the line and go up the Tower. I had done zero research, so didn't know what was on offer. Ballrooms, circuses, dungeons, dino mini golf, and a themed entertainment and event suite in the famous Blackpool Tower. O, and you can go up to the top for "stunning panoramic views and experience the thrilling SkyWalk glass viewing platform." But it was tough taking photos. I wish I had seen the ballroom, but happy to miss the rest. I had fun jumping on the glass up the top, and encouraging young people to jump while their mothers were freaking out. One might say that was naughty, but honestly, just jump and have fun!

People love their dogs here and take them everywhere. One lady took hers up the tower. I don't people ever leave their dogs at home. Which at one level is great, but up a tower?

Blackpool also has a comedy plaza, a plaza full of quotes from British comedians. I spent a wonderful time in the sun wandering around reading quotes and laughing.

Blackpool also has three piers. Not one. Three! So I had a beer on one of the central pier. I had nasty fairground food.
They are like our fair grounds but stuck out on a long narrow thing in the water. Blackpool won't like this, but it had this veneer of glitz, and felt a little cheap. I was happy to end my day and bus back to Lytham. More my style. The beach looked nice though.

That will do for now. When I get time I'll talk about

,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

Lenten Following

Living God's Graciousness and Generosity