Arriving in London and spending time with Rebekah

Sabbatical 2023 - let's crack on reflecting on that.

I arrived on Friday 11 August. I was staying at a friends place in the Isle of Dogs. Thanks Caroline for your amazing generosity. I stayed there three times. It was a great place to be based, once I worked out how the public transport worked. A quick bus ride into Canary Wharf, then the Elizabeth Line into central London. The Elizabeth Line also runs to Heathrow, so all good. I did get lost in Canary Wharf a few times, but that is the fun of large underground malls, especially at night.

London was all about spending time with Rebekah - our youngest. London was and is tough going. You can read some of how tough here. Lots of young Kiwis and Aussies. No jobs with hard to get accommodation. It has not been the great time she hoped for. But she can escape to Europe, and has whenever the money allows. So it was so good to spend those first few days with her. I have blogged about that here. My rule was - you choose what we do, I'll pay. A great rule. 

Here are some of the photos with her on the Eye, and here are a random collection of others.

But it is tough being a parent, worried about your child, who is living so far away.  It was so good to be able to spend that time with her. I am pretty sure I offered way too much advice. (any advice is way too much) but that is what happens when you are a dad and you care a lot and love your daughter who is struggling so much. Turns out listening, like what I do as a spiritual director, is more appreciated. Good lessons to learn.   

And we did some really interesting things. Rebekah loves comedy and musicals. She knows a lot about both. If you need advice on what to see in London, or New York, ask her. she has great ideas. So she took me (I paid) to Strange Loop, which, as a straight white christian man was an eye opening and sometimes uncomfortable watch.  I was in the minority in that audience - straight and christian. But a good watch. 

Thanks Rebekah for a great few days. We did some nice touristy things. Ate at some nice places, and had fish and chips with mussy peas. And had fun. Sorry about the should's.

It was a good start. I got my feet on the ground. I mostly got my sleep rhythm into the right part of the world. And I began a trend I/we kept up for the next 11 weeks. I walked lots and lots. And it was just so nice to spend that time with Rebekah. I will always cherish that.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Ride! - Thankyou and Goodbye!

"Just Enjoy The Coffee"

Youth Camp