The grand adventure continues.

The grand adventure continued with me being in tourist mode, coupled with catching up with people mode. I was still trying to work out what the first few weeks were about really. Holiday mode. Chilling out and recovering from a tough few years. Visiting people. All of the above and more it turned out.

I wasn't super organised, as I have already confessed. Too tired. Too busy. Too stressed. But I knew I had to be in Liverpool by Friday, and I wanted to catch up with Jacky in Hereford, and Helen and Dave in Lytham. Looking back I have a lot of good memories from this week. Surprising things, like Blackpool, and the joy of spending time with people. And having time on the trains to read my wee book ready for Israel.

Monday morning I jumped on my pre-booked train (which I had booked to a different station to the one I thought I had - my brain kept failing me) and visited my good friend Jacky. We were at theological college together, and did youth ministry together. She used to mock me a little for being so old, until I worked out she was older. She had been in the UK for 8 years and was about to head home. We have tried to meet up on some of my other TSSF journeys over, and this time it worked - just. I was her last visitor. You can read more about my time in Hereford here. It was a gift to have this 24 hours with her, and to share something of her life, and the things that gave her joy (and to hear of some of the things that did not). It was a nice joy filled way to being this part of the adventure. My Cathedral photos are here.

Tuesday morning I was off to Lytham. Helen had accidentally lived with us during the first lock-down when all her house sits feel through when COVID wiped out travel. She had just started at the Tauranga Special School. We said she could stay while she worked out where to live next, and then we were in lock-down. That could have gone pear shaped, but her presence was part of the joy and that time. She and her new kiwi bloke had gone back to the UK to check on her place in Lytham, and her son. she had kept telling us about this beautiful place, so I felt I had to go. An English writer Bonnie and listen to on long car journeys, Elly Griffiths, had described Lytham as really boring. I can say that Lytham is a grand place. A small village with a lovely feel. It has a windmill, lovely walks, Lytham Hall, and a beer cafe. What more could you want. And it is close to Blackpool and Lancaster, and pretty close to Manchester and more importantly Liverpool.  

These first few weeks were about being open to surprises. I had not intended to go to Blackpool or Lancaster, but I ended up in both places. Blackpool like a few other places, felt tired and sad. A little cringey with the glitzyness. Aparently if you get away from the touristy area it is quite nice. But I am glad I went, even if I had done zero research about what to do. A theme for these first weeks. You can find more photos here.

Lancaster was a complete surprise. Helen had a lunch meeting and asked if I wanted to go with her to look around. I was dropped off at Williamson Park with its amazing views over Lancaster and out to the cost. We have been watching "The Bay" which is set in Morecombe, near Lancaster - I could see it in the distance. Williamson Park is also home to the iconic Ashton Memorial. Basically a rich guy built this monument to his family and gave it to the city. As you do. 

I found my way into town, looking for somewhere for lunch, and to find the castle. I think I ended up at Café Dolce. They served what I think is the most delicious fruit scones with delicious jam and clotted cream I have ever had. Just divine. It melted in my mouth with so much yummyness. I loved the moments of surprise and joy that kept popping up.It gives me joy just thinking about it.

And then the castle. A working prision until not long ago. Still a working court, although not much used. A great tour - the guy had a drama degree and it showed. I knew more about the English kings than he did, but who cares. It was a great day. Thank Helen for taking me there. You can find more photos here.

My three days with Helen and Dave were lovely. And Lytham was such a beautiful place. I'd go back anytime, especially if Helen and Dave were there. I did blog about this too, my last blog before life got too busy. If you want more details, here is where you go.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Ride! - Thankyou and Goodbye!

"Just Enjoy The Coffee"

Youth Camp