Captains log: Star date day 19

What a day.
I went back to the City of David, and bought a ticket this time. That came with a wee booklet informing me about of what I was looking at. Made much more sense this time.

Then I went into Warren's shaft, (that's what I needed the ticket for), one of the first archeological digs from the 1800's, then down into the shaft dug maybe even before David for people to collect water out of the Gishon spring. I hadn't intended walking Hezekiah's tunnel (dug about 2,700 - 2,800 years ago) but three others came as I was leaving, so I just jumped on in there, shoes, socks and all. About 1/2 hour later we popped out at the pool of Shiloam (I make no promises for the spelling here) Amazing stuff to wlk through this windy shaft dug so long ago. This German group behind us just stripped off when they got out. Is there no shame??

Then dripping wet I headed off to my real aim for the day, to walk with Jesus on his last journey. I headed up Mt Zion, pausing at the Basilica where Peter is said to have denied Jesus 3 times. It is built close to where Caiaphas' house was, and included caves with holes for iron rings. Jesus probably would have been held here, and maybe even scourged here. It is probably where Peter and John where held as well
when they were arrested. I am still having trouble getting my head around it all.

Then on up to the room of the last supper, which was about to close. I read the reading, decided it was too draughty and cold, and we went off for muffin and coffee in the Jewish quarter. (We left Judas to pay) Then on down the hill, out at Dung Gate, on down through the Kidron Valley, and up to the Domitius Flavis (again no guarantees for spelling). Here Jesus wept over Jerusalem. Then back down to the Church of All Nations in the Garden of Gethsemane, and the rock where he wept alone. Then on down to the Grotto where he was arrested. I was surprised to find that. I didn't know it was there. I left Jesus to it at that point. I wasn't so keen on climbing back up to Caiaphas' house. Meanwhile I found the tomb of Mary, an Orthodox Basilica, next to the grotto. Again, deep down in a cave. I love the smell of incense in these places.

Then it was time to join the throng in Jerusalem. I found the weekly pilgrimage up the Via Dolorosa (got the spelling right this time) led by the Franciscan fathers. What a crowd! Mostly in Latin (what happened to Vatican II) with bits in English and Arabic (I think). I had planned a lengthy lone pilgrimage, but this made it more real somehow.

And that was it. We finished at the tomb. There was no where to sit and be still, The priests were still busy doing priestly things all over the place, so I went for coffee and baklava in fountain square, where I again paid double of what is charged in the Muslim quarter. What more could I do.

Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

Youth Camp

The Way