Pilgrimmage

Hi
Last night we had a candlemass service. As we read the
Psalm, I was struck by how more real it all was being in
Jerusalem. We are not talkign about some far off and
mythical place. It is real, and it is still in turmoil.

That turmoil was reinforced today when we went to Bethlehem.
Our host, who is an Israeli Palestinian cannot go into the
West Bank. He came with us, but it was risky. As we drove
into the West Bank, we were taken through the new wall. It
is an abomonible thing, cutting through the country, cutting
familues in half, holding the Palestinians in their ghetto.
The strife goes on.

When we prayed the "Jesus have mercy" before the eucharist,
I was struck by the fact that although our sins are
forgiven, the carry on. The behaviour of Christians here in
the Holy Land, and in our treatment of Jews over 2000 years
has given brith to todays conflict. We are part of the
cause. It is not enough for me to feel outrage. We need ot
acknowledge our part, and to work for a better future. I
just don't know how ot do that. But I do know that that is
also true in my own land. I will approach pentitence very
differently from now.

Today we visited the birthplace of Christ (by tradition) the
field of the Shepherds, and their caves, (all of which is
within walking distance of Jerusalem) drove past Gethsename,
went again to Holy Sepulchre, and then walked back down the
via Delarosa. It still seems so surreal that I could be
standing where the Christian story began, and the key sites
of teh Incarnation, where Christs poverty was absolutely
expressed. It is one thing to pray and reflect about these
in NZ, but to be there. It is just so surreal.

One highlight was goign for a breif but scary camel ride.
teh worst part is whiel the camel is getting up. I thought I
was goign to fall off.

Enough for today. Tomorrow we go North to Galillee.

Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

Youth Camp

The Way