church schools

I am currently at the Tikanga Pakeha Liturgy Working Group. We have just had an interesting discussion about "our church schools" and what a wonderful opportunity these schools offer.

I am not as enthusiastic about them as others, but I do see them as great opportunities.

It reminded me of a conversation I had at a synod recently with a school chaplain. In the course of that he asked what I would look for out of a school, and sadly I could not answer, which I am embarrassed about.
After watching a nooma cd (another posting) I knew.
I want schools to help young people to develop of sense of justice, of compassion, to be in tune with a God of justice, love and compassion.
I want school to gift young people the skills and resources they need to live a life of faith in which this sense of justice and compassion and life in God can grow and develop.
Finally if as part of that those young people can find a home in the Anglican Church that would be great. That depends on groups, school and church making connections for the benefit of those young people.

This says something about what I would want out of church as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

They Were Not There at the Beginning

Youth Camp