church schools

I am currently at the Tikanga Pakeha Liturgy Working Group. We have just had an interesting discussion about "our church schools" and what a wonderful opportunity these schools offer.

I am not as enthusiastic about them as others, but I do see them as great opportunities.

It reminded me of a conversation I had at a synod recently with a school chaplain. In the course of that he asked what I would look for out of a school, and sadly I could not answer, which I am embarrassed about.
After watching a nooma cd (another posting) I knew.
I want schools to help young people to develop of sense of justice, of compassion, to be in tune with a God of justice, love and compassion.
I want school to gift young people the skills and resources they need to live a life of faith in which this sense of justice and compassion and life in God can grow and develop.
Finally if as part of that those young people can find a home in the Anglican Church that would be great. That depends on groups, school and church making connections for the benefit of those young people.

This says something about what I would want out of church as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Show us your credentials part three." Some thoughts for the readings for the 28th Sunday in Ordinary Time with some interesting stories.

“Show us your credentials part two." Some thoughts for the readings for the 27th Sunday in Ordinary Time and the Season of Creation

Anglican Worship, a relic of the past?