the most important things

Last night I was at a Toru seminar (Anglican Centre for Youth Ministry Studies). The speaker was Annette Cater, the children’s ministry co-ordinator for the diocese of Wellington, and part time Strandz trainer. (See the website for more). She was speaking on Anglican Youth, a dying breed?
Annette has been involved in church in an active way nearly all her life. She remembers as a 10 year old being n a group that chose the music for Sunday services and organized and ran some of the Sunday services. She just thought that was normal. At 25 she is our youngest deacon, and will be our youngest priest at the end of the year. She is probably the youngest Archdeacon in the communion.

She talked about what the most important thing we do as church. I guess mostly we would say our sandy services. It is what we measure the success of a parish often. Yet young people and children are often excluded from that activity. We send them off to Sunday school. We run youth groups at another time. I wonder if the most important thing we do is not the Sunday service, but our work with children and young people. I wonder if Sunday simply allows us to carry out that work, to be bread of life for young people and children.

I wonder??

Comments

Anonymous said…
doh- I think I just posted my email address on your comments- would you mind taking the comment off?

rochelle
Anonymous said…
Hi John, I thought I left a first message but perhaps I made a mistake... I can see the second comment I made, but perhaps the first didn't make it... Rochelle Duke here.. just writing to say hi... found your blog from Steve Talyor's, nice to hear your news, hope all is well.

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

They Were Not There at the Beginning

Youth Camp