Nominated Bishop of New Westminster



In case you have not heard, I was nominated to be Bishop of New Westminster in Vancouver, Canada. The election was a couple of weeks ago, and I have pleased to announce that I was not elected. Don't get me wrong. I would have gone if elected, and I would have given my all. And I would have really enjoyed working in that Diocese. But I struggled to see how they could elect someone who they had not met. The woman who did win looks like a really good choice.  To be honest I was briefly disappointed, but only briefly. It was a good decision for them and me.
I really enjoyed the process before the election, which for those in North America was very public. It was as public for me, only hardly anyone knew to look and so it wasn't as public, if that makes sense. It was far more time consuming that I had anticipated. It took a while to get together my CV, a personal statement to the diocese and a video answering some questions. All this went up on their website. And that then sparked a steady flow of questions which took time to answer. It was a busy month or so.
The election itself was also surprising. I think I was the only candidate not present. In our system candidates are not present and are told nothing of what happens. So I was surprised to learn it was anticipated I would be present, and if not then I needed to be available to be told the results. Because I had not anticipated this I was not available. Saturday Vancouver time is Sunday our time, and I was busy taking services. So that made for an interesting Sunday as each round of voting came through, after 8am, after 9.30 and then after the morning tea. 
It was deeply humbling to be nominated. I have not really considered myself as a bishop. I am sure I could do a reasonable job, but it Is not something I aspire to. It took Douglas some time to convince me. If it had not been Douglas asking I probably would have said no. But I deeply respect his opinion, and was honoured he wanted my name to be included. It was also interesting having an opportunity to think about what my thoughts around episcopacy are form the other side. WE are about to engage in a process to elect our own new bishop. We will be asked for our thoughts on what we expect from this person. It will be the third time we have done this in 11 years, so I am really not very excited. But to think about that from the point of view of someone being nominated was really different. To think about how I would answer the emails sent to me was a challenge, but again, I enjoyed it. It was interesting to note how often I wondered if my response would win or loose me votes. I was trying really hard to not think that way, to just be honest and say what I thought. And yet it happened. Mostly it was fun.
On the Monday after  I mostly felt relief that the good people of New Westminster had chosen well, and of joy that I get to stay here. Being part of the process helped me appreciate to a greater depth how much I enjoy being in the parish I serve in. I do not feel like I am even close to being finished here. I am still trying to work out what I am doing and how to do it. We have begun a relationship and I am not close to wanting to end that yet. So relief and joy were my overwhelming feelings. It was also humbling to have as many people say they did not want me to move as did. It is nice to be appreciated. Not every vicar would have experienced that. 
So thank you New Westminster for taking me seriously, and thank you Gate Pa for making me feel like this is home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

Youth Camp

The Way