Being in Merivale



In the first week of December our Parish had planned to hold a dinner at the Merivale Whanau Aroha Early Childcare Centre. This Centre is run by Anglican Care, and this Parish is included in the oversight of what happens there. It is an important way we have a presence in that Community. There were 170 parents and children etc form the families that attend, and staff from the Centre and a few invited guests booked to attend. This was special. A proper sit down Christmas meal offered as a gift..
Sadly on the Sunday morning before the meal (which was on Tuesday) a significant figure from that community was found dead in his backyard. He had been involved in an assault the night before, helping out a couple being harassed and assaulted by a group of young people. It was originally thought that had led to his death. It has been since shown that the two events were not related.
Why am I writing about this? Because when I read about his death I completely underestimated the effect of his death both on Whanau Aroha staff and on the community as a whole. I am used to living in places with little community. So when something like this happens we talk about the effect on the family. It normally has little affect on the wider community. Not so in Merivale. It is the poorest area in Tauranga. It has lots of issues, and it has a really strong sense of community and identity. And this person played a central role in all that.  It was such an eye opener for me to come face to face with this community in people shocked and in grieving. I was chastened by it. And I am not sure some of our hierarchy ever got it, despite my efforts to let them know.
I spent a lot of that week attending various events in support of the staff of Whanau Aroha, and of a parishioner who asked by the family to do all the “religious bits”.   I attended his being brought back to Merivale and into the Community Centre, and read a Psalm as said a prayer; I attended the funeral service at the Community Centre; I attended the Community meeting with the Police on the Friday at the Community Centre, and then the meeting with Whanau Aroha Staff and the Trauma team from the Ministry of Education.
I don't know that  I didn't do alot. The Manager asked me to attend and I did so happily. It was a privilege to be there to support all those involved. It was a time of great learning for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

They Were Not There at the Beginning

Youth Camp