Charlestown and other cool Cornwall seaside places

After a huge day at the Eden Project I needed to fine some shops and somewhere to eat. I had no real plans and set off. Just trying to saunter with purpose, being open to the places I found myself in and the sense of the sacred in those places. I saw a sign for Charlestown, which is now on the Lonely Planet list of places to go, but somehow wasn't on the list I saw. But off I went down the road and arrived in this most amazing of places. 

Cornwall is known for its little port villages hewn out of this rough coast - perched on steep hillsides, safe harbours for a people who lived on the sea.  

It is described as "Once a thriving working port, constructed to export copper and china clay, Charlestown's principal industry is now as a film set and to welcome visitors who want to follow in the footsteps of sailors from the past. Beautifully preserved, the pretty pastel fishermen's cottages line the harbour, with a nice range of places to eat, drink and shop dotted around as well."

It is all that and more.  Charlestown is the last open 18th Century Georgian harbour in the UK and is proud to be a UNESCO world heritage site. It is where alot of Poldark was filmed. It is small, and easy to get around. The stone walled protected harbour is a classic and easy to cross from one side to the other. A tall ship and some historic barges. A place of pilgrimage for Poldark enthusiasts, and all number of other films and shows. Just oozing history. I could have stayed there for ages, and happliy gone, back. There are lots of little shops and food places, and a few bars. And I am told a great museum. I nearly went back on my way out of Cornwall but chose to do the museum in Falmouth where I learnt all about pirates. I took my time being in that place. My first Cornish harbour village. Still my favourite to be honest. I ended the day with more fish'n chips and delightful beer, and Cockles & Scraps. 

You can see more photos here

A long day day. And then the stress of working out where to next, and where to stay. the evenings were never relaxed.


+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Ride! - Thankyou and Goodbye!

"Just Enjoy The Coffee"

Youth Camp