The other cool Cornwall seaside places part one



After my morning walk in the Luxulyan Valley, I set off for Fowey (pronounced Foy). I boldly did not park in the car park area, got a little lost in the one way system, at least I think it was a one way system and I was going the right way,and then headed back to the safety of the car park. It was a bit up the hill, but an easy walk straight down the hill to the lovely, historical seaside town. I had a lovely little walk around, and then found a place
with massive Cornish fruit scones and Cornish pasties. After those it was a bit of a slog back up the hill to the car. Gravity worked against me there. You can see more photos here. I just enjoyed having time to go and spend time in places like this. This trip was planned, but others were on the spur decisions. Trying to pay attention to place and the stories of those places.

These little villages and towns are just delightful. I had time to walk around Fowey. Others I just drove through, like Penzance, and some like Mousehole  I parked up briefly and then drove on. Others like Falmouth, St. Ives and Newquay I stayed in and got to experience something of the tourist life there.

After Fowey I had intended to go to the The Lost Gardens of Heligan - which look amazing. I put in gardens in Google and up came the Hidden Valley Gardens. I didn't notice the different and went there instead. I was a little frustrated when I discovered my mistake. I did not have time to get to the Lost Gardens, and did not make it back there. Sometimes I feel sad I did not get there. On those days I am in tourist mode. But I was a pilgrim, and open to what was in store. the Hidden Gardens were lovely. I was invited again to consider how to have a pollinating garden. I enjoyed the passion of the people who created it and cared for it. The pull of being a tourist is strong. But the way of a pilgrim was more healing.

One my way to Falmouth I drove through Truro - the cathedral city in the heart of Cornwall. I found a park and wandered into town. I could have gone to evensong in the Cathedral, but decided just to walk about. And discovered a market being run by Ukrainian refugees to raise funds for care in Ukraine. the war in Ukraine seemed so are away when it started. We prayed for peace each Sunday at the beginning of the service - but it felt distant. Seeing these people selling their wares made it so much more real. I bought ear rings for my girls in the Ukrainian colours. Even in this lovely part of the world, after my chilled day alone in the River Valley and in other places, the evil in the world carries on and makes itself felt. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Ride! - Thankyou and Goodbye!

"Just Enjoy The Coffee"

Youth Camp