The other cool Cornwall seaside places - Falmouth

One of the stress points was working out way too often where I was going to stay. although it was stressful not being that organized,and moving most days, it also gave me an opportunity to experience a few places for a little more time. and I got to wander about and eat some of their foods beyond fruit scones and pasties.

Salisbury and Luxulyan were the first two places I stayed in, and they were great. After leaving the Hidden Gardens (I do feel like they are sneakily named to be honest, but I was a pilgrim so all good) I set off for my next place of accommodation - Falmouth. Falmouth is a really important port for England. It has the third deepest natural harbour in the world. Originally it was built for defending England during the time of the Spanish Armada it became a vital port for trade and military purposes as it sits at a point where ships going south and returning to England would pass through it.This isn't a travel blog so you can more about the history here. But it was cool to learn some of it when visiting the Maritime Museum.

Initially I booked in Falmouth as a good place to stay to get the Mount St Michael the next day. I booked a place a little out of town with parking (if I had got there early enough). The place I booked was a great place to stay, with full kitchen and laundry. I had been hand washing each night, and had taken some coat-hangars to hang the clothes out on in the bathroom Alot of places only have hangars that can be used in the wardrobe and are not much good fro frying clothes. But it was great to give some of my clothes a good wash. And if they were not dry I hung them in the car the next day to complete the process. 

I ended up in Falmouth twice. The first time staying, the second time on my way to Exeter when I visited the Maritime History Museum and went for the Pirates Exhibition. Marvelous. On that first night I drove into town, parked, and wandered about for awhile. I eventually found a little brew bar which served amazing food. they had room for one at the bar. The beer was locally brewed. the food was freshly caught and magnificent and included kimchi pancakes, mussels, a wonderful fish dish and pavlova. It was divine. What a gift of a night. then as I walked back to the car I stumbled on a then of the coast guard fundraiser at one of the big pubs, and the coast guard signing - as they do in those parts - world famously in some cases. I finished the night driving around exploring. Falmouth became one of the gift places for me. I would happily go back there. Even base myself there. I loved the history, the food, the beer, the vibe. It brings me joy every time I think about it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Ride! - Thankyou and Goodbye!

"Just Enjoy The Coffee"

Youth Camp