Friday

Today was pretty quiet. morning prayer and Eucharist at 6am, with breakfast some time later. While waiting for breakfast I talked with one of the Franciscans who had stayed with John and I. he is a Catechist and works with young people in the Cathedral Parish. He receives a small amount of money for that, and for the rest of their needs relies on crops they grow on their land. As he spoke his eyes lit up with passion for his work and those young people. he has a family to support in all this, with three children either at secondary school or about to go to secondary school. that involves school fees, uniforms and all the rest. I think his wife would like him to get a real job, but this is his passion. I wonder how to honour and support him
A little later we had a quiet stroll down to see the Bishop, Bishop Sam Sahu (I think). I went armed with our community obedience and intercession list. He was genuinely interested in the third order and our relationship with the first order brothers. He then told me about Malaita and that it is the largest population base and the largest diocese in the Province. Despite that it struggles with all sorts of issue. He talked about some of their struggles and hopes, the tightening of the money coming from the Melanesian Trust Board in Auckland and the need to achieve self sufficiency in the not too distant future. He also talked about the struggle to offer his clergy a degree course. Places at Kohimarama are very limited, and the Pacific Theological College is struggling. What he wants is distance courses offered so people can stay at home at study part time. Despite our struggles in NZ we have an easy life. So much is readily available and so much we take for granted.He then invited us all out for lunch which was very nice. A staff member from Bishop Patteson Theological College was also there. He had met the bishop after us. He is responsible for their distant diploma programme which they are slowly rolling to several of the Diocesan Training centres.
The ferry trip back was late, slow, rough. The trip to Savo continues to scare the pants of me. I also have found my bottom is too soft. sitting in a canoe for several hours is not going to help this!!!!
When we got back I washed clothes, bought noodles for dinner, and Jimmy gave me my instructions for tomorrow. I am not excited that I have to be at the airport two hours before we leave. But another adventure in Makira waits for me tomorrow. God will be waiting for me and I trust will use me as God has done to this point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

They Were Not There at the Beginning

Youth Camp