Kohimarama - Bishop Patteson Theological College

Today I was invited up to Bishop Patteson Theological College to visit the three Tertiaries that are there on faculty, and to speak to any faculty, students and spouses that wanted to hear me. The day began with me arriving back at Agnes House to find Brother Clifton had come to pick meup. Despite me asking John Ama 3 times to confirm that I would be picked up at 10am, he told clifton 9am. They came back at 9.20 and I was far from ready, and a little peeved with John. I was ready well before 10, as I knew I would be, but felt like I had held people up.
The two topics I was asked to speak on were: my role as Minister Provincial and what it means to be a Franciscan Priest.
I began by talking about the Francis and his being immersed in God's love, and how soon many others sought to follow him so that they might, like him, walk in the footsteps of Christ. I also talked about the three orders Francis established, with a quick history of SSF in the Anglican Church, and how TSSF was established at the same time as a stand alone Order with the other three Orders (there being two first Orders, one brothers and one sisters) I then described our Provinces (Europe; Americas; Africa; Australia, PNG and Asia; and The Pacific - which is Aotearoa-New Zealand, Polynesia and Melanesia. I described my role as having oversight of the Order in this Province, and to care for its health and development. I then talked about my visits here, which I hope encouraged those who came to listen, and would help the further development of the Order in Melanesia to stand on it's own feet.
I then starting talking about being Franciscan first - a Franciscan priest, Franciscan husband, Franciscan father etc.... Everything comes out of my being Franciscan. Not that I am especially good at living out of being Franciscan, but that is the idea any way. And the fact that I am not so good at being Franciscan is OK because Franciscans were God's fools, the Order of Friars Minor. They are also the ones who embrace their poverty, their lack, and so I embrace mine.
I talked about the fact that in ministry the most important thing we offer is ourselves. We can think at the place of learning like Bishop Patteson that it is what we know, but unless we are people of love then people will not care what we know. And we can think it is all the good things that we do and the skills we have to offer, but unless we are seen to be people who care then no-one will care what we can do. In the end it is who we are that matters the most. the other things are important (they had better be, I do have the equivalent of 4 degrees) but it is who I am that counts the most. And God wishes to work on me through the way of Francis.
I talked a little about my rule, the headings and how that allows me to be intentional about how I live, and to hold myself to account to God for that way of life. I was asked about poverty and I talked about living simply and self denial, and also humility. I need to work on not seeing myself as the big fella in the parish with everyone else serving and helping me, but to see myself as the servant, who does not have all the answers or the skills and who needs all the parishioners if we are to be who God invites us to be. I also talked about the community obedience teaching me to pray and being the way God shapes me, and the need to not grasp for more, or see what I am paid as mine and what I have earned, but God's gift with which i am to be generous. I finished by talking about how Francis reminds me that point of church is not church, but the effect we have in our wider communities. I talked about how Solomon Islands need the churches to be working to bring reconciliation, God's peace and life, between those who have been fighting and still do not trust each other. But Solomon Islands also needs the church to be involved in rebuilding society, the economy, the trust in public institutions. it will be that which will show how successful the church is, not how many people singsongs and pray on Sunday mornings. We are here I said, using Bishop Justin Duckworth's words, to work with God to build a society where all can contribute and all benefit.
I was disappointed when I arrived that no current ordination students were there, they were on field work. But a lot of the faculty was there, and the wives were there who are doing a diploma in women's studies and ministry. i was glad to talk to them. I hope they understood me, and found it helpful. Certainly the faculty I talked to found it helpful.
Over lunch at the Ngalihesi's I found out that Betsy has finished work on the material in plain english, including stories of Francis, novice notes, community obedience, and other forms. So I am looking forward to having that available for Chapter next week.
Tomorrow is a rest day before I head off to Savo. I may do nothing. I may work on my report for the ministers meeting. But I am thinking a day completley off will be a good thing. It has been a busy but good week and a half, and I was sick before I came, so I am feeling pretty tired.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Sent

They Were Not There at the Beginning

Youth Camp